Global Changemakers!

Global Changemakers!
Setting the scene, highlighting the facts!

And the Women Deliver Conference 2010 begins...

domingo, 6 de junho de 2010 19:43 Postado por Italo Ribeiro ;)

Hi All,

I am glad to come here and post one of the best experiences I have ever had in my life. I am now in Washington DC., USA, representing Brazil at the Women Deliver Conference 2010, advocating youth engagement, social entrepreneurship and HIV/AIDS. I am also joining a group of British Council Global Changemakers whom are incredibly special.
I had very tiring flights. I definitely cannot sleep on those uncomfortable seats and I was beside the window, the place I hate travelling in. After 13 hours flying over America's sky, I got the US at 6:30 am.
I met 5 Paraguayans who are participating in the same event as me but cannot speak English, so I ended up becoming their translator. The Women Deliver Organizers quickly sent us to the supper shuttle vans which took us to the hotel.
OH MY GOD, my hotel is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I just thought: When in the century would I be able to pay for that? So fascinating, luxury, beauty, the way I like it. Well, things should have been better. There was no room reserved for me and the Paraguayans, even thought we were conference supported. We had to go to the Washington Convention Centre to get registered in the Conference and be reimbursed for our expenses regarding the visa and trip in our respective countries. Then, at 10:00 we came to know that there should be another registration time at 1:00 pm.


 In the meantime, we could not have breakfast until we register. The solution was: To spend money. I bought cookies, cake and hot chocolate. That was great. Using that time, the Paraguayans and I had the opportunity to discuss about aborption, education and the accessibility of Sexual Reproductive Health to young people in our countries. That was a great time to think about the acceptance of abortion in society. The girl I met is going to lead a session during the conference, and I am going to attend it.


Well, we did not have to wait until 1:00 pm. At noon we got registered. My room is like a palace! I slept a little, took lots of pictures in front of the mirror and then left for the Ice-Cream Social Reception at the Washington Convention Centre. There I met Mohammed, Francesca Marttonffy and the other Global Changemakers from the Gambia, Malawi, Switzerland and Afeghanistan. We had a nice conversation and then went to have dinner: PIZZA! It was great to talk about lots of things. The problem is that I was so sleepy that could barely pay attention to what they said, but participated in some discussions. After that, we moved to the Whitehouse! How couldn't we come to Washington DC. and not visit the Whitehouse?

We walked around DC., and knew its main monuments. Of course I took lots of pictures of them.

After the girls left, Mohammed and I kept sightseeing around Washington. We walked too much that I got extremely tired and could hardly walk. Then, he came to my bedroom to visit me. We talked for a while! Mohammed is such a great company and definitely a Global Changemaker.



I am too sleepy now and cannot write anymore. I am just leaving my exciting feelings that show this conference will be amazing. Today was the day to have fun, but now things get serious. We will deliver for women!

Being here has been one of the best conquests God has given me. Thank you my Lord!

Then, I would like to affirm I miss my mother. I'll bring her here someday!
I would like to thank Francesca Marttonffy and the 3 other Global Changemakers whom are here.

Thank you readers,

Watch out the blog for news!

Bye!

Comments (0)

Postar um comentário